ICRI Toronto Chapter
Technical Seminar #5- A technical review of the scope of work and challenges associated with the restoration of the Coignet Building, a famous landmark in New York City
Date: June 12th 2018
Location: Cluny Bistro- 35 Tank House Lane, Toronto, ON M5A 3C4
Speaker: Mary Jablonski, Architectural Conservator and President of Jablonski Building Conservation Inc.
Now surrounded by a Whole Foods, New York City's first concrete building stood abandoned, isolated and crumbling for decades despite its significant origins. At the corner of Third Avenue and 3rd Street, the Coignet Building was an advertisement for industrial growth when it opened in 1873 in Brooklyn's Gowanus neighborhood. Designed by William Field and Son, the building took two years to construct and served as headquarters for the New York & Long Island Coignet Stone Company. The company was able to produce cast stone materials at a far lower cost than natural stone by utilizing molds rather than chiseling tools. The building itself has a poured concrete foundation and concrete stones and blocks on the upper stories. Its restoration project won the New York Landmarks Conservancy's Lucy G. Preservation Moses Award, recognizing "excellence in restoration.